Friday, November 30, 2007

Intelligent design or divine intervention?

By Libby

A lot of people have been linking to John Scalzi's account of his visit to the Creation Museum, including Michael D, but Michael unearths another interesting travelogue today that clues us in to this scrumptious factoid.
In a delicious bit of irony, the Creation Museum is built on top of one of the richest fossil beds in the world and near the birthplace of vertebrate paleontology. Want to find an at least 500-million-year-old fossil? Head over to the nearby Wal-Mart parking lot.

I hedged my bets that I could find something good if I sought out that beacon of American consumption. I was hoping for something like I bought as a 10 year old from the Field Museum of Natural History. I wasn’t disappointed with the 45 minutes I spent scrambling over clay-slickened rocks behind the bargain center’s loading dock…In under an hour, I had unearthed ample evidence of life extinct for more than 500 million years.
Click over for the picture. That's one really cool fossil. I wonder if the Creation Museum deliberately chose that site in an attempt to cover the contradictory evidence or if God just has a really dry sense of humor and sent them there?

No comments: