Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super Tuesday Super Whisky Caucus

I have no idea what will happen today. It looks like there is a Republican information cascade coming in for John McCain and the combination of that cascade, and Mike Huckabee happy playing spoiler in the Deep South will allow McCain to come out of today in very good shape against Romney. However the Democratic side is a happy mess. At this point I see the field as if a football team is being told to choose a quarterback and Roethlesberger and Romo are still on the board --- I'm pretty happy with either one and it is mainly a matter of marginal preference.

So here are my predictions for the Dems --- Obama loses California due to early voters breaking overwhelmingly for Clinton but is within a handful of points there, and New Jersey, Conn. and Mass. He keeps it much closer than any of the polling would have shown last week in the Clinton core states while significantly expanding his lead in Illinois, and Georgia. Clinton comes out of tonight with less than 100 pledged delegate lead count and is in a bit of trouble as the cash on hand is next to nil. Pennsylvania political junkies salivate at the thought that our primary may be valuable.

Furthermore, many people will use this very, very helpful spreadsheet that a good friend of mine produced for our Super Fat Tuesday Primary Election Night Extravaganza as their primary tracking mechanism for the day.

Libby's predictions: I've been pretty much focused on family stuff for the last couple of weeks so I don't have a clue what to expect on a state by state basis. My only prediction this round is that Obama will do better than expected overall and that neither will have a lock on the nomination at the end of the day. As for the GOP, I have a feeling that McCain won't end the day with a lock either but will emerge as the clear frontrunner but I wouldn't necessarily want to stake my booze on it.

shamanic sez: I predict with absolute certainty that Barack Obama will receive at least one vote in Georgia, because I'm going to get myself cleaned up and head over to my polling place in a bit. He's been running ads here for weeks, and I don't know if that means he plans to contest Georgia in the fall if he's the nominee, but it's a damn good sign.

No idea how the state-by-state will look, but my next prediction is that for a while during the afternoon, I'll be napping so I can be awake when California is called.

Cernig: I'm going with the pollsters, because I like sending booze to my co-bloggers. McCain and Clinton pretty much everywhere, much as I might wish it otherwise.

No comments: