Friday, February 29, 2008

Media blesses McCain endorsement by Christian hatemonger

By Libby

I suffered a massive case of blogger burnout yesterday. I've had a rather brutal week at work and as Cernig remarked, the banality of horserace coverage in the news left me bored on the one hand and disgusted with the paucity of our discourse on the other. I didn't blog a single word on the five blogs I contribute to.

But the race goes on and the news isn't anymore encouraging today. John McCain proudly accepted the endorsement of the fringenut evangelist John Hagee this week. As Mustang Bobby noted Hagee "believes, among other things, that there is no such thing as a good Muslim, that Hurricane Katrina was God's retribution for a gay pride parade in New Orleans, and that it is the duty of the President to hasten Armageddon in order to further the Second Coming."

Do you think Russert will be demanding that McCain renounce, oh excuse me I mean reject because renounce isn't a word on Russert's vocabulary list, the endorsement? Of course not. Everybody in the elite Village knows, that hatemongering is okay as long as a white, Christian evangelist does it. It's not the hating part the 'serious' journalists object to, it's hating the wrong people.

Of course that doesn't explain why it's okay for Hagee to preach hate against the bulk of Americans who either support pro-choice and gay rights or happen to be Catholic. I guess the criteria really is, it's only objectionable to hate anything while being black.

No comments: