Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dodd can do it (Update - HAS Done It!)

By Libby
Updated below

Since Cernig already posted on the shameless cave-in of the House and Senate on telco immunity, I posted my disgust on the sell-out at The Impolitic. But perhaps not all hope is lost. Jane Hamsher reminds us that there is a way to keep this atrocity from passing and its beauty is in its simplicity. All we need is one courageous Senator to put on hold on it and then take the matter to the people. All eyes are on Dodd, who has the best ability to get a public forum to make the case.

I'd say it's a win-win for Dodd. He's already made the issue an important part of his campaign and a bold move like this would force the press to give him a soapbox and could only raise his profile in the primary race. You can call the Senator and politely urge him to do so at (202)737-3633 or use this form to email him immediately.

Just do it. The rule of law depends on what you do, not what others do.

Update By Cernig: Dodd can indeed do it! This from his campaign website:
The Military Commissions Act. Warrantless wiretapping. Shredding of Habeas Corpus. Torture. Extraordinary Rendition. Secret Prisons.

No more. I have decided to place a "hold" on the latest FISA bill that would have included amnesty for telecommunications companies that enabled the President's assault on the Constitution by illegally providing personal information on their customers without judicial authorization.

I said that I would do everything I could to stop this bill from passing, and I have. It's about delivering results -- and as I've said before, the FIRST thing I will do after being sworn into office is restore the Constitution. But we shouldn't have to wait until then to prevent the further erosion of our country's most treasured document. That's why I am stopping this bill today.
Drop by this link and thank the Senator, please.

We're going to have to start calling him Chris "The Backbone" Dodd if he keeps doing this kind of stuff.

No comments: