Wednesday, October 10, 2007

CO2 makes me grumpy

I have an odd internal thermometer. My comfort zone tends to be 10 degrees Fahrenheit cooler on both ends than most people's comfort zones. This is fine in the winter as I'll hold the heat a couple of degrees cooler and save some serious money on the heating bill, but as soon as it is summer, I become very, very grumpy. I am even worse when it is hot and humid despite the best efforts of air conditioning. If it is an 80/80 day I am downright unpleasant and non-responsive to the rest of the world.

I can now blame global warm for some of my annual summer anti-social tendencies, as the AP is reporting that increased CO2 concentrations, besides increasing surface temperatures also significantly increases humidity.

The amount of moisture in the air near the surface... increased 2.2 percent in just under three decades. And computer models show that the only explanation is man-made global warming, according to a study published in Thursday's journal Nature...

Humidity increased over most of the globe, including the eastern United States, said study co-author Katharine Willett, a climate researcher at Yale University....The finding isn't surprising to climate scientists. Physics dictates that warmer air can hold more moisture....

It will only feel worse in the future, Gillett said. Moisture in the air increases by about 6 percent with every degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit), he said. Using the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's projections for temperature


Time to look into some Churchill beach front property to cope with the summer of 2022

[/light snark]

No comments: