Please note that this post contains language inappropriate for 2nd graders. And perhaps offices. You were warned.
A uniter he ain't: Today Mitt Romney laid into Democrats on whether kids should be exposed to the notion of gays in elementary school. According to a question in last night's Dem debate, a teacher in a Massachusetts school read her second grade class a story about a prince who marries another prince, prompting failed legal action on the part of some parents. Gay couples can marry in Massachusetts, after all.
"Last night's debate was just the latest example of how out of touch the Democratic presidential candidates are with the American people. Not one candidate was uncomfortable with young children learning about same-sex marriage in the second grade. This is a subject that should be left to parents, not public school teachers. We need to strengthen our families by passing a federal marriage amendment and also insisting on marriage before having children. Change in Washington requires Democrats with the courage to stand-up to their ultra liberal base and do what's right for our children."Hey, I'm the blogger here. I'll take it apart for you.
1. Out of touch? Looking at the polls over the last few years, Americans are pretty evenly split on whether gays should have equal rights to form legally sanctioned relationships, whether that be through domestic partnership, civil unions, or marriage. We all know which side has the momentum, Mr. Out of Touch.
2. Let's just cut Romney's reaction to this: "Not one candidate was uncomfortable with young children learning." It sure would suck if your kids were exposed to ideas in school, wouldn't it? Golly, next thing you know they'll be wantin' to go to college or sumthin.
3. This is a subject that should be left to parents! Why, exactly? There's a thing happening in society, Mr. Romney. Is it inappropriate for students to hear about it at school? Hey, I know, how about the kids with gay parents and the kids with straight parents have a war. How about that? That'll settle the issue.
4. Let's pass the Federal Marriage Amendment. Delicately, Mr. Romney: Fuck you. You want to make sure I never have equal rights in my own country? And you want to be president? This statement demonstrates that you are absolutely unsuited for the task, you dick. Drop out now.
5. Change in Washington... blah blah... ultra liberal base... Democrats... blah blah. Shut your pie hole Mitt. In answer to the question, "Is our childrens learning", the answer should always be yes. Sometimes they'll learn things that disquiet their elders, but it is a fact that in America, unlike Iran, there are gay people. Perhaps Ahmadinejad's country would be more suited to your tastes, Mitt.