Thursday, August 30, 2007

Silly season slated for early start

By Libby

I see the Wyoming GOP has joined the game of primary musical chairs. They're moving theirs up to be before New Hampshire. As more states jump in, I'm suddenly liking the whole movement. It has a certain anarchist feel that appeals to me. I mean if they're going to make a mockery of an unfair and inefficient system, then the more the merrier. I wish both parties in all 50 states would jump in and schedule theirs for early January as well. It might just force the party machines to finally upgrade a badly outdated system.

I've recently discovered a national primary would evoke some kind of federal law so I'm on now on board with the theory that rotating regional calendars, giving every region a chance to be first, is the best fix. Our presidential slate, not to mention our president, has been dictated by the same few states for far too long. It's well past time to make every voters' voice more meaningful. It could engage more of "the people" into the process.

For an alleged representational democracy, that could only be a good thing.

No comments: