Monday, January 21, 2008

Ranking Reagan

By Libby

Krugman takes a look at the politico's latest love affair with "The Great Communicator." There's already a lot of smart commentary up on this so I'm just going to say that I never understood how he got elevated to sainthood.

I remember all the moving tributes when he died. I didn't write anything about it, because I don't like to speak ill of the dead and I had nothing to good to say. From Reganomics to Iran-Contra, Reagan was a disaster as a president. But I suppose one has to have a grudging respect for his communication skills. I can't think of anyone else who could go on national television and declare that ketchup should be considered a vegetable in fulfilling federal mandates for good nutrition in free lunch programs and end up being canonized as a great leader when he fact he couldn't lead himself to bed for his afternoon nap.

No comments: