Saturday, November 24, 2007

What I learned from my Republican father at Thanksgiving

by shamanic

"We are winning this war!"

Okay, so it was a holiday and I know he's been waiting years to be able to say that, so I didn't laugh nearly as hard on the outside as I was laughing on the inside. It wasn't the words (I would love to know what "winning the war" means, and even more for us to do that once we figure it out) but how he said them. "We are winning this war!" Wow. Okay.

My problem is cynicism, I know. I hoped it would be quick when we invaded, I hoped the early counterinsurgency plans would work, I hoped every Bush speech about "turning the corner" would, in fact, lead us around a corner onto a better path, I hoped that elections would calm things down, I hoped a new constitution would fix the problems.... I've been fooled a few too many times when it comes to Iraq, and now I'm just waiting for the politicians to get it together enough to bring our kids home.

Oh holidays. I'm so glad to be back.

No comments: