Saturday, September 01, 2007

Paging Dr. Freud

By Libby

How do I interpret this? I had a dream last night that Karl Rove and I were lovers. His bedroom was large, paneled in a rich dark wood. There was a fire crackling in the stone fireplace on the far wall from the foot of the bed, framed by two floor to ceiling windows which abutted long bookcases filled with books.

We were lying in a big, simply styled bed on crisp white sheets and fluffly cream colored blankets. Karl's skin glowed golden in the firelight. I was nestled in his pudgy arms. He was soft and warm with strong hands. Kind of like Fred Thompson. [That was really my exact thought in the dream.]

Jeri Kehn Thompson walked into the room and started screaming at Karl for being with me. He leapt out of bed, confused, looking at me while she told him I was a undercover agent who was there to expose his secrets. He looked at Jeri, laughed in that way he does, and left the room.

I wanted to deny it, but I knew she was right. Instead, I rolled over and wrapped the blanket a little snugger around me. That's all I remember.

I woke up to find my dream lover had penned an op-ed for the National Review. It's hard to choose which of Karl's bon mots to highlight, but I guess this will do.
The outcome in Iraq and Afghanistan will color how history views the president.

History’s concern is with final outcomes, not the missteps or advances of the moment. History will render a favorable verdict if the outcome in the Middle East is similar to what America saw after World War II. ...

If the outcome there is like what happened in Vietnam after America abandoned our allies and the region descended into chaos, violence, and danger, history’s judgment will be harsh. History will see President Bush as right, and the opponents of his policy as mistaken — as George McGovern was in his time.

Beyond his policies and actions, history will take the measure of the man.

What's that even supposed to mean? That history will ignore the death tolls and the destruction when the Middle East miraculously busts out all over in peace and prosperity, which Karl is certain will happen if we just stay there long enough and drop enough bombs?

And how did that withdrawal work out for Vietnam anyway? American involvement in that war lasted 25 years before we finally withdrew our troops. During those years Vietnam more resembled Iraq today than say, Disney World. And when we left, admittedly there was much upheaval and carnage as the various political and military forces readjusted their positions.

But just think, if we had only stayed another 25 years, we could have "won" that war and spared the Vietnamese people this sorry fate. I mean who wouldn't rather dodge napalm and Agent Orange than be stuck working in places like this?

Shame on us "defeatocrats" for wishing to subject the Iraqis to a similar nightmare existence.

No comments: