Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The American Family Association begins to confront "the lean years"

by shamanic

For reasons I can't entirely explain, I have ended up on Don Wildmon's American Family Association mailing list. Did I sign up for that in a fit of something or another? No idea, but today they hit my inbox with this gem:
The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) H.R. 2015 is likely to be voted on this week in the U.S. House. ENDA is aimed at providing heightened protections for a particular sexual behavior- homosexuality. It would grant special consideration on the basis of "sexual orientation" or "gender identity" that would not be extended to other employees in the workplace. That could spell trouble for Christian business owners, churches and faith-based groups. Proponents of the bill quickly point to "religious exemptions" in the bill, but most agree that it is a sham.
This is one of those instances when I'm struck by the several universes that coexist here in our free society. For instance, I'm both stunned and amused by AFA's insistence that I don't have a sexual orientation, just "a particular sexual behavior". Is it possible that they believe that deep down I'm a heterosexual who has engaged exclusively in lesbian relationships throughout my adult life? What kind of semantic reaching is that?

And if homosexuality is merely a "sexual behavior", does that mean that there's no difference at all between the sex that gay men have and the sex that lesbians have? Call me crazy, but it seems like there are some obvious differences which might cause the average person with a couple of moments of thought to decide that "homosexuality", rather than being a sexual behavior, actually includes a broad range of sexual behaviors.

And then there's the religious exemption stuff. It's gotta be tough to be the group pushing for exemptions to non-discrimination laws. Good luck living with that paradigm, Don. I suggest you get used to losing these fights though, because while you're a tough old bird, there are generations of Americans rising that are quite comfortable with their gay peers and don't see any reason to punish them for who they are. I'm 31 and you're really, really old. Time's on my side, Don.

No comments: