Sunday, April 08, 2007

Holy hydrogen - that was close

I know it's not nice to laugh at other's shortcomings but it's difficult not to be unduly amused by our President's technological ineptitude. This time it was Ford Motor Co. CEO Alan Mulally who rescued our boy from a potentially serious blunder.

It seems Ford was doing a demo of their new hydrogen-electric plug-in hybrid on the White House lawn last week and Mulally was trailing our Dear Leader at a respectful distance, when he noticed someone had left a live plug lying near the fuel port at the rear of the car instead of the electrical supply at the front. Immediately recognizing the potential for disaster, Mulally's quick thinking no doubt saved the President, and the bystanders lives, but also a good portion of the White House real estate.
"I just thought, 'Oh my goodness!' So, I started walking faster, and the President walked faster and he got to the cord before I did. I violated all the protocols. I touched the President. I grabbed his arm and I moved him up to the front," Mulally said. "I wanted the president to make sure he plugged into the electricity, not into the hydrogen This is all off the record, right?"

I'm surprised he wasn't wrestled to the ground for daring to touch his Majesty but good call on that one. I understand Cheney was also in attendance. Without the intervention, Pelosi could well be standing at a podium right now being sworn in as Number 44.

No comments: