Monday, April 23, 2007

Good for Gov. Spitzer

The New York Times is reporting that Gov. Elliot Spitzer (D-NY) wants to introduce a bill giving full marriage rights to same sex couples. The paper is reporting that is looks like it will be a tough bill to pass this year, but I have to applaud Mr. Spitzer for following through on his campaign promise.

I am married to a wonderful woman. She makes me laugh. She makes me smile. She makes sure that my head is attached to my shoulders.She offers me strength and shares in my weaknesses. She encourages me to be the best person that I can be, and I hope that I do the same for her as we move forward in life. She is incredible, and today even more so than on the day that we became engaged, and more so than the evening that we exchanged our vows, I love her and want to share the rest of my life with her.

If opposite sex couples were not allowed to be married, we would still be sharing and spending our lives together. State sanctioned marriage in this aspect is nearly irrelevant. However the social recognition of our relationship and the legal privileges of our recognized intermingling of affairs is a significant aspect of our lives even though it still is strange to see receive a phone all asking for Mrs. X and it takes me a moment to remember that Mrs. X is no longer just my mother but also my wife's name.

I am lucky. I want my friends and the millions of strangers who have also found themselves as lucky as I am in their own way to be able to share and celebrate their love without any prejudice or interference.

No comments: