Thursday, November 03, 2005

Pagans And Politics

I need some help.

You see, I have been asked to contribute to a forthcoming collection of essays on the relevance and future of paganism/occultism in the 21st century. My own essay will deal particularly with the impact of Wicca as I've been a practising Wiccan most of my adult life and given my political wonkishness I want to concentrate on how paganism in general and Wicca in particular will influence the political landscape.

I've written in the past about individual cases where Wiccans have taken on violations of the separation of Church and State as well as about cases where ignorance and bigotry would have tried to prevent pagans and their kids from exercising their rights of religious freedom. I've also written some about why pagans in general tend towards progressive politics.

Choice is one of the key definers of what it is to be a Pagan. We are a decentralised bunch, accepting no Popes or organisational leaders. We rely on our immanent relation to divinity to be our guidance and that in turn gives rise to a strong prohibition on imposing our beliefs on others, either as evangelism, as a slate of beliefs that adherents "must" have or as moral "rules" that we demand be enforced by the State. We welcome those of every ethnicity, every sexual orientation, every political point on the compass.

Wiccans, as well as other pagans, have a deep interest in equal rights regardless of race or gender or religion, in helping the less fortunate of society, in protecting the environment, and in decriminalising "victimless" crimes - all arising from the nature and precepts of our worship. We are aware of the dangers of theocracy and orthodoxy, tend not to be hawks on foreign policy, are overwhelmingly "pro-choice".

And like non-pagan progressives, we are incredibly difficult to organise, regiment and keep "on message". It's like trying to herd cats - and that's the way we believe it should be.

Yet paganism (or "neo-paganism" if you want to be technical) is the world's 18th largest religion now and is growing at an incredible pace considering the current incarnation of paganism only really began in the 1950's. At some stage this century, we almost certainly won't just be looking at pagans in the entertainment industry like Cybil Shephard or Fritz Leiber but at British MP's, American Congressmen...dare I even say a President?

So anyway, this is where I need some help. If you are a Wiccan yourself, or a pagan in general - or even non-pagan but with an opinion on the subject - I would love to hear your thoughts. In what ways might Wicca and neo-paganism in general affect politics and the world in the coming century? Drop me a comment or mail me at newshog[AT]gmail[DOT]com.

No comments: