Friday, April 08, 2005

Bloggers With A Face For TV

This week's challenge from the Unpaid Punditry Corps was -

"You are producing a political television program. And it's your baby, all the way. You're on CNBC, you have a guaranteed year of programming, and you have to select four bloggers who will serve on a thirty-minute-long daily roundtable discussion of recent events. Who do you pick, and why?"

I've given this a fair bit of thought and come up with then discarded several contenders.

I considered ALL of my amazing colleagues at the UPC, because all are excellent bloggers with sharp minds and a ready wit. I considered Michelle Malkin if only because she is better looking than the equally lunatic Ann Coulter, who really needs to be taken off her pedestal as "Rightwing Pet of Every Month". I considered Tas at Loaded Mouth but his f-bomb integrity would get the show moved to pay-per-view. I thought of Kevin Drum at Political Animal because I admire his work greatly - and Kevin would be first choice as a substitute if one of the panel fell ill or something. Eventually I settled on four bloggers with name recognition, because that's what would get the viewers tuning in.


The final panelists I have chosen are:

Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit. Glenn can actually think for himself when you take him out of the Republican echo chamber and he was featured in Reader's Digest this month - you don't get better name recognition than that.

Jesse Taylor from Pandagon. Jesse has wit, wisdom and a cut-the-verbiage attitude. He also blogs for Jerry Springer On The Radio and his experience there may come in handy.

Joe Gandelman of The Moderate Voice. A journalist and a centrist, Joe is perhaps the blogger I most admire for sheer professionalism. His would be the voice of consensus preventing the whole show degenerating into a slugfest.

Michelle Malkin of...umm...Michelle Malkin. It's about ratings!

Yes, I know I picked two on the Right to my one Leftie - but Glenn isn't all that far Right on some stuff, Joe is no fool and I have confidence in Jesse's abilities.

That's my pick. What would yours be?

No comments: