Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Whose side is Hillary on?

By Libby

A couple of weeks ago I bought into the notion that a protracted contest for the Democratic nomination was a good thing for a number of reasons, the main one being that it denied the GOP a clear target for their smear attacks. As this race has played out, I'm rethinking that postition. I'm wishing that at the end of this day, a clear winner will emerge so we can end the intercine bickering.

Some of it is just silly. For instance, [via] I have to agree with Susie that the horrified reaction to Hillary's response to the stupid question about whether Obama is a Muslim was overblown. It sounded to me like the kind of typical caution that anyone whose every word is scruntinized under the microscope might employ. But on the other hand, this from a Clinton press-op in Toledo yesterday was over the top awful.
"I think that I have a lifetime of experience that I will bring to the White House. Sen. John McCain has a lifetime of experience that he'd bring to the White House. And Sen. Obama has a speech he gave in 2002."
I wanted to believe it was misquoted, but Steve Benen has the video and that's what she said. I can hardly find words to express my dismay. I thought the end goal was to beat McCain, not help him. Considering that Obama could become the party's nominee, I can see the GOP using that footage in an attack ad down the line.

I'm trying hard to remain neutral but something like this makes it really difficult to believe that a President Clinton would put the common good over her own political ambitions and that scares me.

No comments: