Friday, March 14, 2008

We're winning on FISA

By Libby

Well blow me over with the wind of a butterfly's wing. The House passed a FISA bill today that did NOT include telecom immunity. As my friend Dax would say, just damn. Now it's far from over but it's just a little short of miraculous in my mind that we've come so far and so long in this fight.

I don't pretend to understand the procedural manuevers myself, but this diary at The Great Orange Satan explains how the House effectively forced the immunity supporters into a corner. Considering the long, sorry history of capitulation, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too far, but for the moment, it's fun to watch the White House sputter over the setback anyway.

Don't let anyone tell you that point and click activism doesn't make a difference. If we hadn't kept the pressure on, I doubt I would have been posting this today. Thanks to everyone who took the time to raise a ruckus and didn't give up even when it looked like all was lost.

And special props to the team led by FireDogLake and Glenn Greenwald, for pressuring the Bush Dogs into doing the right thing. Jane Hamsher has the details.

No comments: