Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Anybody seen Cheney?

By Libby

I've had this uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach for a few days now. It struck me that we haven't heard a word about our Dark Lord for a very long time. I was wondering what's going on in the secret reaches of our Fourth Branch of Government and I'm afraid this is the answer.
Defense Secretary Robert Gates has called CENTCOM commander Adm. William Fallon “one of the best strategic thinkers in uniform today.” Fallon opposed the “surge” in Iraq and has consistently battled the Bush administration to avoid a confrontation with Iran, calling officials’ war-mongering “not helpful.” Privately, he has vowed that an attack on Iran “will not happen on my watch.”

Unfortunately, this level-headed thinking and willingness to stand up to President Bush may cost him his job. According to a new article by Thomas P.M. Barnett in the April issue of Esquire magazine (on newsstands March 12), Fallon may be prematurely “relieved of his command” as soon as this summer:
I don't find it beyond the realm of possibility that a strike on Iran could be the October surprise. If they really remove Fallon before then, I'd say the odds get better. I hope I'm wrong.

Update: This does nothing to convince that I am.

No comments: