Sunday, February 03, 2008

To protect and serve?

By Libby

When I was a kid, they told us the police are your friends. Back then it was true. Dealing with a local cop was like living in a Norman Rockwell painting. Today, that painting would have to feature a SWAT team and tasers. But of all the atrocities I've seen in the last few years, this strip search of an innocent woman just leaves me speechless. I can't muster up strong enough language to articulate the rage at what they did to her in response to a 911 call made because she was assaulted. She was the victim yet, seven officers, including at least two men, forcibly stripped her completely naked and left her in a cell for hours. The cops ultimately charged her with disorderly and resisting arrest. Don't they always?

I blame it on reality shows. These howdy beefheads see the cops on TV getting all macho and they want to be just like that. I don't believe in violence, but if she doesn't win her court case and these cretins skate, I hope the good citizens of this town riot on the streets. This really shouldn't happen in America.

No comments: