Thursday, February 14, 2008

Is Obama tough enough?

By Libby

I've seen variations of this theme many times over the last year but never put in quite this way. In speaking of John Edwards potential endorsement, Mark Halperin has this to say.
MARK HALPERIN: Yes, that's right. And I can tell you, he's really skeptical of her ability to be the kind of president he wants. But, he kinda thinks Obama is..he thinks Obama is kind of a pussy. He has real questions about Obama's toughness, his readiness for the office.he has real doubts about Obama, not just as a president, but as a general election candidate.
I've never been troubled by his perceived 'softness' myself. I was troubled by his smoothness. He struck me as just a little too glib and that concern is still not entirely assuaged. I've purposefully not listened to him speak much, so as not to be swayed by his rhetorical gifts. When you read what he said, the next day, he really hasn't said much. But apparently, as I used to tell my ex-husband, it's not what he says, it's how he says it. It's difficult not to be impressed with how he's managed to inspire a huge movement with small words. [via Hinesight]

No comments: