Friday, February 01, 2008

The great debate

By Libby

I didn't watch it. I'm going through a major crisis in the family and spent the evening on the telephone. In fact, I've spent more time on the phone in the last week than I have in the year prior. But in perusing the reactions, by all accounts it appears to have been something of a lovefest. My compatriot at The Reaction, Michael Stickings says the Democratic party was the winner. That sounds right to me but archcrone was less impressed and echoes my underlying discomfort.
We are left with a symbolic vote rather than a vote for real progress at a time when progress is needed most.
I can live with either candidate but I'm not thrilled with either of them. Despite all the lofty rhetoric about change, and all the excitement over the historic aspect of choosing either the woman or the black man to carry our banner, I just don't see either of them as offering much more than politics as usual. While I think we need a Democrat in the White House, I don't see the progressive agenda gaining much ground from it.

At this point, I'm still undecided on who to vote for and I'm inclined to focus my energy on getting progressive candidates elected to Congress. My House rep has a decent voting record, so I'm thinking my best move is to try to get Liz Dole kicked out of her comfy seat. I think that would make a bigger difference.

No comments: