Saturday, January 26, 2008

Elections mean nothing without a verified vote

By Libby

Everybody will be watching South Carolina today but the voting veracity issues in New Hampshire continue to play out under the radar. I've been through a hellish week so I'm thankful to our prolific tipster Kat, for bringing these links to my attention.

It seems the NH Sectary of State is lying about the hand recount requested by Kucinich. The SoS is claiming everything is hunky dory and Dennis was satisfied with the results while at the same time Kucinich was demanding further action.

Meanwhile, BlackBox Voting was videotaping the allegedly secure chain of custody of the physical votes. We need to invent a new word for this sort of perfidy. To call it a sham isn't really strong enough.

I'm afraid this is playing out as I expected. The problems are obvious and egregious but because it hasn't revealed any startling skewing of the outcomes, the media is blithely ignoring the story in favor of insipid and nearly useless horserace analysis. It reminds me of nothing so much as the runup to the Iraq occupation. The media coverage is being fixed around a pre-determined narrative. Real investigative reporting is apparently just too much work for our media elites.

Which is not to say we shouldn't continue to try to bring attention to the issue. I don't know how to break through to the average Jake and get them outraged enough about this to demand something be done, but I wish at least Blogtopians would spend more time on this than they have so far.

No comments: