Sunday, December 09, 2007

Freedom Watch win a plus for progressives

By Libby

Well, I was about to post that NBC was wrong to reject the Freedom Watch ad, but I see in the interim, NBC caved to the fringenut pressure and decided to run it after all.

"We have reviewed and changed our ad standards guidelines and made the decision that our policy will apply to content only and not to a referenced Web site. Based on these amended standards the Freedom's Watch ad will begin to run as early as Sunday."

Much as I loathe FW and all that it stands for, I think that's a good decision. I've complained time and time again about the ads for progressive organizations that have been rejected by TV stations, so I couldn't in good conscience argue that this one should be barred. I've seen the ad and it's non-offensive except for its connection to an entirely disgusting neo-con front group. Just as non-offensive as previously rejected ads in the past from progressive groups have been.

I see a golden opportunity here. I'm thinking this would be the perfect time for 'the left' to test the new standard. Wouldn't it be magnificent, if every left wing group put together their own thank the soldier ads and also bought time on NBC? The FW ad isn't that great. I'm sure the creative minds on the left could co-opt that concept and come up with much better ones.

It would be awesome. Done correctly, it could put a human face on the occupation and it would explode the whole false meme that the left doesn't support the troops. I envision a series of ads where families saying thanks while holding photos of their deployed family members. Maybe injured soldiers thanking their comrades. Imagine a sea of Code Pinkers simply saying thank you. There's a lot of ways to exploit this moment and if enough groups do it at once, it would become a news event.

I don't see how NBC could reject any of them, now that they set the standard. Our troops would surely feel supported by the effort and they deserve it. The soldiers on the ground have done a magnificent job under horrible circumstances and this administration has studiously sought to keep them from public view and out of the public mind.

The only downside I see is the lack of funding. All the leftwing groups put together probably don't have the accumulated wealth of the handful of neo-cons that run Freedom Watch. Anybody really know how to get in touch with George Soros?

No comments: