Thursday, November 01, 2007

Facebook employees are watching you

By Libby

I think I was supposed to join Facebook so I could sign up to be somebody's friend or something. I never got around to it. I barely have time to keep up with my blogs and the news, much less chitchat on social networking sites. I don't really understand what the point of it all is since it looks like most pages I've looked at aren't updated frequently and the messages consist of mostly, thanks for adding me as your friend or comments whoring their own page. But whatever it's all about, after seeing this, I'm really glad I never signed up.

"My friend got a call from her friend at Facebook, asking why she kept looking at his profile," says a privacy-conscious source at a major tech company. Turns out Facebook employees can (and do) check out anyone's profile. Not only that, but they also see which profiles a user has viewed -- a major privacy violation. If you've been obsessed with a workmate or classmate, Facebook employees know. If Barack Obama's intern has been using the campaign account to troll for hotties, Facebook employees know. Within the company, it's considered a job perk, and employees check this data for fun.
Now I expect it's harmless enough for the most part but still I find it kind of creepy that some kid working at Facebook could be tracking your online activity for 'fun.' [h/t David D]

No comments: