Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Edwards offensive on national health insurance

By Libby

I don't know how I missed this but I think Edwards' plan to strip members of Congress of their health care if they don't pass comprehensive reform is the best idea I've seen floated in this whole dismal silly season. The constitutional argument fails if you don't take it literally and it's presented as bill from the White House and not as a presidential edict . That would be ridiculous and I doubt Edwards intended it to be taken on those terms. It's easy to forget when you live and breathe politics that the candidate's remarks are meant for a larger audience of basically uniformed Americans who base their views on soundbites. That's a helluva soundbite.

Would it irritate Congress? Of course it would but I don't see how any case can be made that it would block reform efforts. I'd like to see any politician stand up and explain to the average Jake why they should enjoy the best health insurance plan in the world while 47 million Americans are playing Russian roulette with their health and countless millions more are struggling under the weight of premiums that eat up a huge chunk of their income for policies that can all too easily be cancelled at the very moment they need them most. It would be political suicide.

Personally, I think it's brilliant and just the kind of uncoventional approach we need to kickstart reform.

No comments: