Monday, October 22, 2007

Red Sox nation

By Libby

I've been a Mets fan since the day they joined the league. I have to admit I didn't really know a lot about baseball back then. I was more inspired by my natural empathy for underdogs. The Mets were so low they had to climb up to get into last place and with the entire neighborhood gang cheering for the Yankees, I figured somebody had to cheer the Mets. And cheer them I did, through long decades of losing lineups.

Thus I was a natural to become a Red Sox fan when I moved to Massachusetts. I cheered for both teams, which being from different leagues didn't present a conflict except in the rare instance that they faced off against each other. Even then, it wasn't much of a conflict for me. Egalitarian that I am, I simply cheered for both teams at once.

Of course this year, with the Mets having suffered a recordbreaking crash, that won't be a problem and I'm pretty excited to see the Sox are in. I think they're going to go all the way again this year.

Now given, the team's history of failing in the clutch, some might think I'm being overly optimistic in thinking that the team can win the World Series twice in four years. Some might even scoff, that this could only happen when pigs fly. Well, I give you Exhibit A. Go Sox.

No comments: