Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Everybody knows, this is nowhere

By Libby

I'm in a bit of family crisis and I've had a hellish couple of days. I haven't read much but headlines and the posts here on the Petraeus report. I didn't get to watch the testimony. I haven't studied the pretty charts. But you don't really need the bells and whistles to see the freight train coming.

In November 2006, the people of this country voted to end this occupation. In January 07, Bush decided to escalate the troops instead. The football analogies abounded. This was the Hail Mary pass. Bush and the now sainted Gen Petraeus had six months -- or else this was really it. Everyone swore they would no longer support the occupation. Six months stretched into nine and where are we?
WARNER: Does that [the continued long term occupation of Iraq] make America safer?

PETRAEUS: Sir, I don’t know actually. I have not sat down and sorted out in my own mind. What I have focused on and been riveted on is how to accomplish the mission of the Multinational Force in Iraq.

We're on a fast track to nowhere. The "new" plan is to have us back in a year to exactly where we were nine months ago -- pretty much nowhere. Bush is determined to hand off this mess to the next president. Looks like, thanks to a compliant Congress, that's the only battle he's going to win in this "war."

No comments: