Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"Gun Town"

by shamanic

Following up on Cernig's call for a "Snowdrop Petition" to organize opposition to guns in the United States, here's a Reuters report on the city of Kennesaw, Georgia, just outside of Atlanta. Kennesaw has a law on the books (unenforced, I rush to add--I have friends in Kennesaw who do not own guns, and as immigrant survivors of the Balkan wars in the 1990s, have no desire to) requiring all heads of household to own a gun.

I don't believe that the law is constitutional. A right to bear arms is different from an obligation to do so, but I do agree that if I got in the burgling business, Kennesaw would not be where I set up shop.

One question I have about encouraging gun ownership in an era of no-knock warrants (that sometimes land police at the wrong address) is how many officers will end up shot as a result of this. Again, it's like a battle of unintended consequences between two things that I both find troubling. In general, I oppose no-knock warrants, but with things like Florida's Castle Doctrine law, I do wonder if the police will be getting the wrong end of the barrel.

No comments: