Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Hard Drive Warranty Requires Anti-Terrorist Oath

According to tech magazine InfoWorld, one of their readers recently had great difficulties getting a Return Material Authorization (RMA) warrantly fulfilled on a Seagate hard drive. Not content with the usual jumping through hoops that made Neil Gaiman certain that the infernal dominions could learn a lot about contracts from the computer industry, Seagate has added a new and paranoid hoop - an disclaimer that the replacement part won't be used to aid terrorists!
Disclaimer? Not your typical RMA process. "I then listened in amusement as he read a page-long statement in which I essentially had to promise that I would not use the replacement Seagate hard drive to build or disseminate information on building a nuclear bomb, or participate in any other 'terrorists activity.' I was laughing so hard that I had to calm myself down in order to give the 'proper' answer to this ludicrous question. By the time I finished assuring the Seagate representative on the phone that I would NOT use the replacement hard drive to build a bomb, even he was laughing."

...Seagate's 'quicker and easier' means several hours of company time, but at least we can all sleep well knowing that no terrorist would ever even think of using his Seagate hard drive to foster his evil ends, lest he risk voiding the warranty."
What can one conclude but that Zbigniew Brzezinski is right, we are terrorized by the war on terror.

No comments: