Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Top US General Admits No Evidence For IED Claim

From Reuters:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The top U.S. military officer said on Tuesday the United States does not have proof that Iran's government is responsible for Iranians smuggling weapons and military personnel into Iraq.

President George W. Bush said on Monday components from Iran were being used in powerful roadside bombs used in Iraq, and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said last week that Iranian Revolutionary Guard personnel had been inside Iraq.

Asked whether the United States has proof that Iran's government was behind these developments, Marine Corps Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the military's Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a Pentagon briefing, "I do not, sir."
Rummie then went on to demonstrate the paranoid sociopathy prevalent in the Bush administration by continuing to advance claims of Iranian involvement but offering not a single shred of evidence to back his claims up.

Told you so.


Radio Free Europe, laughably, says not a word about Pace's statement and instead concentrates on Rummie's assertion that there are Iranian Revolutionary Guards in Iraq and that the possibility they are just pilgrims is "unlikely".

The Washington Post covers both Pace and Rumsfeld in more depth and includes some of Rummie's words RFE didn't include:
"With respect to people, it's very difficult to tie a thread precisely to the government of Iran. As we all know, there are pilgrimages where Shi'a come from Iran and around the world to go to holy places in Iraq, and they come by the thousands, sometimes tens of thousands. And so, that is also a difficult" to prove.
In other words, no proof of Iranian govt. involvement there either.

Paranoia? Or just really hoping hard for an excuse for a fight?

No comments: