Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Brownie On CYA Duty

If I were a cynical man I would suggest that the only reason Brownie is being kept around is to say that everything was the fault of the Louisiana locals, thus keeping Dubya from having to investigate himself for any responsibility in the disaster.

And here I am, suggesting exactly that.

Its a measure of how far Bush's star has fallen from grace that even the House Republicans aren't interested in the line of CYA his appointee is handing out.

"My biggest mistake was not recognizing by Saturday that Louisiana was dysfunctional," two days before the storm hit, Brown told the Republican special congressional panel in Washington today.

I'm happy you left," said Rep. Christopher Shays R-Conn. "That kind of look in the lights like a deer tells me you weren't capable of doing that job."

Republican Rep. Kay Granger of Texas told Brown: "I don't know how you can sleep at night. You lost the battle."

"At the end of the day, I suspect that we'll find that government at all levels failed the people of Louisiana and Mississippi and Alabama and the Gulf Coast," said committee Chairman Tom Davis, R-Va.

Hmmm, maybe they have figured out that axing the Dept. of Homeland Security, possibly the most dysfunctional organ of big government ever seen and de-integrating its various functions back to individual smaller and more efficient departments, would pay for all of Katrina and Rita's aid in about 3 years...i.e. 2008.

Worth thinking about.

No comments: