Saturday, April 16, 2005

Book Meme

I got tagged by PSoTD for that pesky book meme thing that's doing the rounds and I've been dodging the issue for days now, so here goes.

Q1 -- You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to save?

One book, just one - oh hells...I guess it has to be the Norton Anthology of English Literature then (heh, that's cheating).

Q2 -- Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? Nope.

Q3 -- The last book you bought is?

I rarely buy books, I prefer to pay for a new wing of the local library by running up fines on overdue books. I am just going to have to ship the damn things when we move back to Scotland after all. So...the last book I bought was The Truth by Terry Pratchett. I love Pratchett - he has so many good thoughts and puts them in such witty and amusing comic-fantasy settings. If Pratchett had started writing first, no-one would have heard of Douglas Adams.

Q4 -- What books are you currently reading?

Soul Music by Terry Pratchett - for about the zillionth time - I mean how can I say too much about a book where "rock music" invades a sword and sorcery setting? Just the puns - a singer who's name translates as Bud of the Holly and who keeps being asked if he is elvish, a dwarven horn player called Glod ("The Watch can't stop us, we're on a mission from Glod"), the wizard with "Born to Rune" on his robe...marvellous!

Inside the DaVinci Code - a collection of essays exploring the alternative views of Christian (and pagan) history from the Dan Brown book.

Q5 -- Five books you would take to a desert[ed] island?

Illuminatus by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea - to keep the braincells ticking.

Stranger In a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein - to keep the spirit ticking.

Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett - simply his best, hilarious and thought-provoking at the same time.

The Celtic Reader by John and Caitlin Matthews - because I would have plenty time for research and thinking.

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy - for relaxing on the beach.


I'm not going to pick five others to tag like I am supposed to. I never pass on chain mail either. If you want to do the meme, consider yourself tagged.

No comments: